Wednesday 1 June 2016

Dot Painted Gecko


     For this months challenge at Altered Eclectics I have made a dot painted mini canvas. This is something I have wanted to try for ages but never got round to it, I'm so glad I finally did because it was so relaxing to make.

     I painted a small 6x4 canvas board with black gesso, I wanted a gecko on it so I searched the web for a free image outline and printed it out. I'm not very good at freehand drawing so I cut out my gecko and stuck him on to the canvas, then I painted over him with some more gesso.
     You can see here he really stands out because he's nice and smooth against the canvas but once painted he will fit in to the design quite well.
     I have used some pearl paints I have in my stash so it will have an added dimension to it when finished.
     As the canvas is only 6x4 I needed a small item to make the dots with, I tried the ends of pencils and paint brushes but they were all too big, a dressmakers pin stuck in a cork proved to be the best tool for the job and comfortable to hold too.
     I drew around the gecko with a white gel pen and then painted small pin head dots all the way around him on the inside of the white line.
     To add other interest I stamped some circles with the paint, using a paper mask I was able to overlap them.
     This paint dried quite quickly so I was able to begin painting with my pin head to make patterns around the shapes on the canvas.
     I did look at some Aboriginal art on line before I started to give me some ideas, they were amazing and this is no where near as impressive but I can understand the calming quality of the action.
     I kept to four colours for the entire painting although in the photograph this doesn't show very clearly.
     Having tried a small project I now wish to make something much bigger, maybe another canvas or maybe a piece of furniture.
     
Altered Eclectics is an anything goes challenge for projects other than cards or ATC's, we like to see mixed media and altered items so get your thinking cap on and come and join us.


I would like to enter this picture in the following challenges:
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes
Love to Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media
Left of Centre Creative - Stripes and/or Dots
Dragonfly Journeys - Polka Party

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rocky! This is amazing! I just love it and have so wanted to get into the whole mixed media craze but I have not had the chance to try it. This really turned out spectacular and I'm so glad you joined me in my challenge this week. Please come back and join me again in more challenges when you can :)

    Jeannie T.
    Dragonfly Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I think you need tons of patience which I don't seem to have. Truly a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this! Always been a little scared of trying it though, but you make it sound like a lot of fun!
    Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...you have made that creepy little thing look so beautiful!Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month, Good Luck. Rupa(DT).

    ReplyDelete
  5. seeing your fabulous canvas and the techniques has made me tempted to try this myself - beautiful hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic canvas Rocky! You have captured the style perfectly, Jane :) X

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.