Friday 1 April 2016

Gilded Flower


     My project for Altered Eclectics this month is a painted picture frame. We are a monthly challenge for anything altered as long as it's NOT a card or an ATC.

     I found this white frame in a local bargain shop and thought it might be nice to paint the flowers.
     This gave me two little problems. One, the glass doesn't come out, it's the first frame I've bought with the glass glued in, so I had to cover it with paper. Two, now I've made the frame 'busy' I have to find a simple photograph to go in it.
     I started by painting the flowers with a pale blue chalk finish and added a small amount of a darker blue while still wet so I could blend them together.

     Once the flowers were dry I painted the centre of each one with an opaque pearl paint.
     The leaves are all painted with a darkish green chalk paint. I had to touch up a few areas as I went round, once the paint dried I could see the odd patch I had missed.    
     The Purple effect is added by using gilding wax on the edge of each petal and rubbing it in with a cotton bud, my fingers are too big to do it by hand.
     Left to dry off for a while I then used a baby's toothbrush to buff up the wax and make it shine. I think I have got that Hydrangea look to my flowers which is what I had in mind, now to find that simple photograph, maybe an old portrait of my grandmother.
     If you enjoy altering anything then please bring it over to Altered Eclectics and show us, we love to see you projects and we have a few DT projects to help get you started.


I would like to enter my frame in the following challenges:
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes
4 Crafty Chicks - Anything Goes
Sisters Of Craft - Anything Goes

4 comments:

  1. I LoVe Hydrangeas - and this is a beautiful frame you have created! Nicely done with your colors Rocky! Thank you so much for sharing your project and creativity at 613 Ave C!
    ~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C : [ATG challenge]
    Owner: RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous frame, thanks for sharing with Sisters of Craft. Wendy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your frame is stunning and I love the colors you used for it. Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks Anything Goes Challenge.

    Tamie DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. this must have taken ages to achieve the flowers look so real - just beautiful hun love it. xx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.